Apollo’s season-finale is a multi-genre exploration of the music of Ireland. The ensemble premieres its first co-commissioned work, a string quartet fusing classical and electroacoustic inspired by ancient Irish Gaelic poetry. Arrangements of folksong from the Petrie Collection of Ancient Irish Music, and music spotlighting the plight of the Irish Palatine community bring this Irish journey full circle. Sláinte!
Acclaimed University of Houston faculty Timothy Hester (piano) and Timothy Jones (baritone), and Houston Grand Opera Studio Artist (and 2016 Met Opera Grand Finalist Winner) Yelena Dyachek join Apollo as guest artists for Beethoven’s exquisite take on Irish folksong.
- Christopher Theofanidis/Mark Wingate: Electro-Acoustic string quartet | 20x2020 No. 11 WORLD PREMIERE*
- Beethoven: 'Irish, Welsh, and Scottish Songs' for Voice and Piano Trio
- Guest Artists: Timothy Hester, piano, Yelena Dyachek, soprano, Timothy Jones, baritone
- Howard Ferguson: 'Five Irish Folk Tunes'
- Irish Palatine folk songs, Arr. Apollo
*2007 Grammy nominee
20x2020 No. 11 generously underwritten by Rhonda and Donald Sweeney.