Musiqa, a two-time recipient of the Chamber Music America/ASCAP Award for Adventurous Programming, kicks off its 15th Anniversary Season with an evening of expressive explorations for saxophone, featuring "Full Circle", artistic director Anthony Brandt’s new ballet created in collaboration with the Houston Ballet Academy. Choreographer Oliver Halkowich creates a thrilling dance to Brandt’s score for saxophone quartet, which spotlights the bluesy, brassy expressivity of the instruments. Further musical explorations include Robert Paterson’s aptly-titled "Tongue and Groove" and David Ludwig’s "Josquin Microludes", a work that transfigures Renaissance vocal motets. Works by James Primosch, Per Nørgård, and Zack Browning complete the program.
On the Program
- Anthony Brandt: "Full Circle"
- Zack Browning: "Funk Assault"
- David Ludwig: "Josquin Microludes"
- Per Nørgård: "Re-percussion"
- Robert Paterson: "Tongue and Groove"
- James Primosch: "Short Stories"