The Catastrophic Theatre is proud to present the premiere of 30 Ways To Get Free, written by Candice D’Meza and directed by Nate Edwards. 30 Ways To Get Free is a series of three Afrofuturist micro-films that position abolition and liberation through the lens of science fiction. By exploring the worlds of spontaneous combustion, mermaids, trans-dimensional cell phones, and alien abductions, the films center on three of an unlimited number of ways Black people may triumphantly enter a free new world of their own imagining. Read more
You are here
Starring award-winning dramatist Austin Dean Ashford
Armed with beatboxing, ukulele, spoken word poetry, and fantastical animals. (I)sland T(rap) is an Afro-adaptation of Homer’s Odyssey remixed. Recently featured and receiving top honors in Scotland, New Zealand, The Kennedy Center, and Off Broadway at TheatreRow in N.Y. (BEST ONE MAN SHOW)
A hip-hop riff about Black Ulysses on an Odyssey of self-discovery and a powerful exploration of a young artist of color navigating the turbulent waters of contemporary American culture while trying to find his authentic voice. (I)sland T(rap) has lyrical poetry, live music, and commentary on Black experience in America, this tour-de-force charts a soul journey on an exotic island where Black Ulysses discovers his place in a society full of gun violence and oppression.Read more
- April 2021: A3L: Across 3 Languages
- February 2021: Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992
- January 2021: MATCH Family Fun Day - At Home
- December 2020: Tamarie Cooper's Holiday Super Show!
- November 2020: HERZSTÜCK
- July 2020: Tamarie Cooper’s 2020: Quarantine Edition!
- March 2020: The Cat in the Hat
- March 2020: FROM WHITE PLAINS by Michael Perlman
- February 2020: The Dead Eye Boy
- February 2020: Fefu and Her Friends