TEATRX is a professional theatre company established to advance Latinx performance arts in order to be a vital and prominent part of the artistic identity of Houston by representing and supporting the Latinx community, its artists, and its stories.
TEATRX will achieve its mission through the following objectives:
- Create and produce work that celebrates cultural identity and brings awareness to social issues in order to advocate for social change.
- Striving to provide competitive and equitable pay.
- Educate and train local artists to build a professional community of Latinx artists.
- Provide children's programming in order to develop the culture of theatre arts in our community's youth.
TEATRX - A Latinx Theatre Company was founded in August 2018 in Houston, TX. Founding members include Benito Vasquez as Artistic Director, Marissa Castillo as Marketing Director, and Jorge Diaz as Development Director. In July 2019, we added Ashley Parra as our Production Coordinator.
Our first event, La Vida Es Cortos / Life Is Shorts Festival was featured in The Houston Chronicle’s PREVIEW section under the Top Staff Picks. In our first year, we produced multiple events, started a fiscal sponsorship with Fresh Arts, received multiple grants from the City of Houston, and brought Latinx theatre to Houston’s stages.
Past Events at MATCH
- November 2018: La Vida Es Cortos/Life is Shorts Festival